NEED OF ELECTRONIC DATA PROCESSINGToday, no business can exist without information. There is no more business without information. To improve the business there is a need to improve data processing and information system. Now it’s the age of competition that involves information technology for faster and accurate data processing. These days computer is playing a main role in every field of life. It is also playing a central role in business. In business, a large amount of data has to be processed daily. It is impossible to process such a large amount of data without a computer. We know that a computer can process data accurately and quickly. The need of data processing in business is clear. Following are the reasons:
1) RECORD KEEPINGAn organization cannot exist without records. Record keeping is a difficult and complex problem. Electronic data processing has simplified it. Receiving, storing, processing and retrieving records is now a matter of seconds.
2) ACCESSING AND SEARCHING RECORDS
We can access desired record rapidly. In manual processing it will take many days to search for specific records. With the help of computer records can be searched with in seconds or minutes.
3) DATABASE SYSTEMSElectronic data processing is used to maintain a database for a business organization. Database is reliable resource of data and information.
Users can send emails, faxes and access internet.
5) COSTIn electronic data processing, the cost of processing is 10 times less than that of manual or mechanical data processing. A few can do the whole data processing with the help of computer.
In a large business organization, thousands of records are processed daily. This cannot be done manually. Computer can do this work at a great speed.
7) ACCURACYSpeed with accuracy is the prime goal of data processing. Computer can large amount of data with 100 % accuracy. Errors and mistakes are associated with human beings.
8) NO REPETITION
In manual data processing there are repetition of same records in many files. But in electronic data processing there is no repetition of records.